Effective date: 25 May 2018.
Welcome to Travelbook ("Travelbook," "we," "us" or "our").
Travelbook provides a web and mobile, travel-sharing community platform where users can organize; access and share travelogues; and brands can offer e-commerce services as well as planning, booking and recommendations for hotels, resorts, inns, vacations, travel packages, travel guides and lots more. Our website, mobile properties, and related applications (collectively, our “Website”) are owned and operated by Travelbook, Inc.
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
On 25th May 2018, the European Union upgraded its privacy laws to require greater transparency for how people's private information is used online. Travelbook is committed to the new higher standards of transparency for the way we protect the privacy of our customers and we are fully compliant with these new protective standards.
GDPR requires that companies such as Travelbook comply with the following:
- Data-driven consent (optic policy, be transparent on how we view, access, and process data.
- Right to be forgotten (delete data, access & rectification, portability).
- Breach notifications (inform users and local authorities within 72 hours).
- Parental Control (we cannot collect data from children under 16 without verifiable parental consent).
- Compliance with all subjects for third parties (all third parties companies we are using to collect/analyze data must be GDPR compliant).
- Data protection officer (DPO): Dean Kelly([email protected]), CEO of Travelbook, Inc. has been formally appointed.
- Comprehensible policy (policies to be easily understandable and in your language).
- Ensure privacy notices are present wherever personal data is collected.
Implement controls to limit the organization’s use of data to the purposes for which it collected the data.
Our Policy applies to all visitors, users, and others who access the Service ("Users").
- What information we collect from you
- How we use your information
- With whom we share your information
- How you can access your information
- Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- How we protect your information
- Children's privacy
- External links
- Visiting our Website from outside the United States
- Your California privacy rights
- How you can contact us
What types of my personal information is collected by Travelbook and what are the purpose for its collection?
- User email (authentication, marketing).
- User full name (authentication, marketing).
- User last name (authentication, marketing).
- User telephone number (authentication).
- Hotel Name, booking dates, country of origin and info (booking and marketing purpose).
- User payment method (debit card, credit card, PayPal, etc).
We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), which includes your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, user name and password, and billing information (such as your credit card number, cardholder name, and card expiration date). We may also request information about your travel plans, style, and preferences, including meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer/hotel/car rental program information, and flight class, luggage, and ticketing options. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general, some information about you is required in order for you to receive relevant offerings from Travelbook and its partners and enjoy other benefits of being a registered member. For example, only registered members are able to post travelogues, comments, participate in discussion forums, message Travelbook content to themselves and others, access members-only newsletters and travel planning content, and enter surveys, contests, or sweepstakes. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to ask us a question or initiate other transactions on our site.
What do you require for my consent and is there an option to opt-out?
For consent to be valid under GDPR, a customer must actively confirm their consent, such as ticking an unchecked opt-in box. You’re are given a clear option to opt-out of any sharing of your personal information.
You may “opt out” of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by request. To opt out follow the instructions within said emails or contact us at [email protected]. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Information About Others.
You will have the opportunity to provide contact and travel-related information for other people through our Website. If you make a reservation for someone else through Travelbook, you will need to submit that individual’s personal information. You must obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal information, as any access to view or modify their information will be available only through your account.
Information from Other Sources.
We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to other information about you. For example, if you visit Travelbook by “clicking through” from a site operated by one of our business partners, and you have registered with that partner, then information about you that you have provided to that partner may be shared with us, such as contact information and demographic information. As another example, if you access third party services, such as social media services, through our Website or before coming to our Website, we may collect information such as your user name, password, and other information made available to us through those services. We will work with our existing partners and potential future partners to improve and personalize your use of our Website in accordance with the practices outlined in this section and Policy.
We automatically collect some information from your computer or Device when you visit Travelbook. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, Web browser software, and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed, pages visited, and searches and/or reservations facilitated or made. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests and preferences of our users and customize your user experience.
If you make travel reservations with third-party suppliers facilitated by Travelbook, we will collect payment information from you, including your credit card number, cardholder name, expiration date, authentication code, and billing address. We will securely transmit this information to the supplier of the travel reservation to complete the transaction. Please note that the supplier processes your payment, not Travelbook, unless otherwise specified. You agree to review and be bound by the supplier’s policies and procedures before making a reservation through Travelbook.
Location Information and Other Information from Devices.
When you use an Application on a Device, we will collect and use information about you in generally similar ways and for similar purposes as when you use the Travelbook website. In addition, we may collect information about your location if you have instructed your Device to send such information to the Application via the privacy settings on that Device, or if you have uploaded photos tagged with location information. We may use the location information collected from your Device or photos to enhance your use of the Application by providing you with relevant content and contextual advertising. For example, we may use your location to show you reviews of hotels or restaurants near you when you are traveling. You can change the privacy settings of your Device at any time, in order to turn off the functionality to share location information with the Application and/or the functionality to tag your photos with location information. Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our App. If you have any queries about the privacy settings of your Device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your Device or your mobile service provider for help.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
- To help us customize the content, experience, and advertisements provided to you on our websites and Apps and on other websites across the Internet. For example, when you access a web page, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. See Display of Advertising/Your Choices for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers should tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable most types of cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on our sites.
Display of Advertising/Your Choices.
Our sites also may use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Data collected to serve you with relevant advertising
Travelbook and its affiliated websites are committed to providing you with relevant content and information across our sites. To do this, we may collect information about your travel-related searches and other site activities, such as whether you are looking for airline flights or hotels, and use this information to serve you with ads on our sites or elsewhere online that match your apparent interests. So, for example, if you search for a flight to Chicago on Travelbook, you may see an ad for a Chicago travel package on Travelbook or on another website you visit.
We do not share your personal information (such as email addresses) with unaffiliated third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive relevant online advertising on other websites, based on your travel-related searches on Travelbook by clicking here.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising
Many of the advertisements you see on the Travelbook family of sites are served by Travelbook or its service providers. But we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites, and (2) advertising networks, who collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different websites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests.
Response to Do Not Track signals
Your web browser may transmit a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signal to Travelbook and other websites. Because of differences in web browsers’ default settings and the manner in which browsers incorporate DNT signals, it is sometimes unclear to site operators whether site visitors have selected the DNT setting themselves, or whether they are aware that they have a choice in determining the setting. Travelbook does not currently respond to DNT signals. Once the Internet industry has settled on standards related to this issue and Travelbook recognizes such standards, we may reevaluate this approach.
How we use your information
Please review "Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information" below.
With whom we share your information
We will not rent or sell your information to third parties outside Travelbook (or the group of companies of which Travelbook is a part) without your consent, except as noted in this Policy.
Travelbook may share your information with the following entities:
- Third Party Vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, payment processing, customer service, marketing, public relations, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including, for example, as necessary to operate features of our Website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business partners with whom we may offer mutual products or services. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- Social Media Services If you were referred to Travelbook from another website, we may share your registration information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and travel preferences, about you with that referring website. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites’ use of personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you to Travelbook.
- Companies within our corporate family You can choose to access certain third party social media websites and services through our site. When you do so, you are sharing information with those sites, and the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies. You may also be able to modify your privacy settings with these third party social media websites.
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary…
- To comply with legitimate and enforceable subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
If you choose to create a profile on Travelbook, certain information in your profile will be publicly viewable and identifiable via your screen name. You will have the ability to view your profile as members of the public will see it. Additionally, if you choose to participate in our member-to-member communications programs, other Travelbook members may contact you by using Travelbook as an intermediary; however, Travelbook will not share your email address with any other members nor display it any public manner. All Travelbook members have the option to turn off the member-to-member communication features at any time.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information. We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our Website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
How you can access your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, and complete. You can access and update your contact information by visiting the Member Profile page on the Travelbook Website. We will send you an email to confirm your request. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity.
Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- As discussed above, you can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to take advantage of certain features offered on Travelbook.
- You also can add or update information and close your account as described above. If you decide to close your Travelbook account, we will deactivate your account and remove your profile information from active view. Please note, however, that we may retain in our files some information associated with your account and past transactions for purposes including backups, fraud prevention, dispute resolution, investigations, and compliance with legal requirements.
- As a registered Travelbook member, you can modify your email subscription choices at any time on the Member Profile page. Whether registered as a Travelbook member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional messages in any such email we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating to your Travelbook account, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- Email Communications. Travelbook wants to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on our Website. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your apparent travel-related interests. For example, if you search for a flight to Chicago, or Chicago hotels or reviews on Travelbook, we may send you an email message reminding you about special airfare or hotel offers in Chicago. Similarly, if you receive an email about Chicago travel and demonstrate an interest in Chicago hotels, flights, or local travel reviews by affirmatively clicking on a link about Chicago hotels in the email, you may receive an email about Chicago hotel or flight offers. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available through our sites. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from Travelbook, you will not be able to access all portions of our site.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using Travelbook, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee complete security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal information between your system and ours, and between our system and those of the parties with whom we share sensitive information, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
Travelbook does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Service. The Service and its content are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonably possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us. (LINK)
Visiting our Website from outside the United States
If you are visiting our Website from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but please be assured that Travelbook does take steps pursuant to laws in the United States to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
How long is each class of information kept?
The information listed above is stored for a maximum of 60 months.
Your California privacy rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the address provided below in the “How you can contact us” section.
Where is my data stored?
Personally identifiable information (such as email, username, and address) will be stored in the application's database on secured servers based in Singapore, Hong Kong, the US, and other countries. Your user digital media (text, photos and video) data is stored securely on our cloud servers in United States.
How is my information cross-referenced?
The information is being verified in the application's database.
How is each class of data being used?
To cater to the user and/or customer based on their preferences.
When is information belonging to each class destroyed?
The information listed above is stored for up to 60 months and then destroyed.
Who is responsible for its destruction and how is it destroyed?
The person in charge of our DPO (Data Protection Officer) is Mr. Dean Kelly ([email protected]).
How is the accuracy of my collected information guaranteed?
The reliability of the collection of information relies on data input by the user either on Travelbook website or Application directly or through Facebook, Google Plus and other login applications. You have the right to request access to and correction of information about you held by us.
Are there access mechanisms in place that allow me to alter/update inaccurate or obsolete information?
Users have access to their user information and are able to update them when necessary through our Login area.
Will you report to the local authorities and to the people (data subjects) for data breaches involving personal data?
Personal data breaches will be reported within 72 hours of our knowledge to the local authorities.
We will report what data has been lost, what the consequences are and what countermeasures are/will be taken.
Unless the data leaked was encrypted, we will report the breach to the user (data subject).
How you can contact us
16192 Coastal Highway,
Lewes, Delaware 19958, USA